get behind (someone or something)(redirected from get behind us)
get behind (someone or something)
1. To physically position oneself (or be positioned) behind someone or something. How exactly did the cat manage to get behind the refrigerator? How did this pen get behind the couch? Did you drop it?
2. To support someone or something. I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind an initiative that is going to lead to more layoffs.
3. To like or enjoy something. I know you guys love baseball, but I just can't get behind it—it puts me to sleep!
1. See fall behind.
2. Support someone or something; also, help to promote someone or something. For example, We must find as many workers as we can to get behind the union.
3. Enjoy, appreciate, as in Norma just can't get behind ballet. [Slang; c. 1970]
1. To lend support to some cause or effort: It was easy to finish the project once the whole community got behind it.
2. To come to a position to the rear of or following something or someone: The child got behind the tree where no one could see him.
get behind someone/something
in. to support someone or something. Let’s all get behind the party in the next election.
get behind something
in. to enjoy something, such as a drug or music. (Originally drugs.) I’m really getting behind heavy metal.