get ahead(redirected from get ahead of)
1. To move ahead of someone or something. Get ahead of this guy, he's driving too slow.
2. To progress or advance in some aspect of life. If this project goes well, it could really help me to get ahead at work.
3. To save some money. I have so many expenses right now that I just can't ever seem to get ahead.
4. To best or outshine someone or something. I've been working really hard to get ahead of my competition for valedictorian.
5. To take preemptive action before something is revealed or becomes well-known. We need to get ahead of this scandal before it breaks to the public.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
get ahead (in something)
to advance in one's employment, school, or life in general. I work hard every day, but I can't seem to get ahead in my job. I want to get ahead in life.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Succeed or make progress, especially in one's career or in society. For example, She put in many hours of overtime in order to get ahead. [c. 1800]
2. Save a little money, as in After we settle the hospital bill, we hope to get ahead enough to buy a new car.
3. get ahead of. Move in front of, as in I got ahead of her in line.
4. get ahead of. Outdo, surpass, as in We were determined to get ahead of the competition. Also see ahead of the game.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To come to a position in front of or in advance of something or someone: We tried to get ahead of the heavy traffic by taking a shortcut.
2. To make progress with something or advance in something, especially a career, income, or quality of life: I took a second job to get ahead and was able to save up enough money to buy a house.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.