Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. To receive one's the punishment or retribution one deserves. Don't worry about those stool pigeons, we'll make sure they get theirs when the time is right. She cheated off me during the test? Oh, she'll get hers, alright!
2. To become wealthy or financially successful. After growing up in poverty, Jim was determined to get his no matter what it took.
See also: get
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
get something (for an amount of money)
to buy something for a certain amount of money. I got my car for only $1500. She got her dinner for a song.
get somethingand get it
1. to receive punishment. Bill broke the window, and he's really going to get it. John got it for arriving late at school.
2. to receive the meaning of a joke; to understand a joke. John told a joke, but I didn't get it. Bob laughed very hard, but Mary didn't get it.
1. to get along; to thrive. Well, how are you two getting on? We are getting on okay.
2. Go to get on something and get on (with someone).
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
get yoursbe killed. informal euphemistic
See also: get
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
get/have (someone's) number
To determine or know someone's real character or motives.
get/have the best of
To outdo or outwit; defeat: My opponent got the best of me in the debate.
get/have the better of
To outdo or outwit; defeat.
get/have the drop on
To achieve a distinct advantage over.
get/have the worst of it
To suffer a defeat or disadvantage.
get/lay (one's) hands on
To get possession of; acquire or obtain.
get/put it all together Slang
To unify and harmonize one's resources so as to perform with maximal effectiveness.
get/sink (one's) teeth into Slang
To be actively involved in; get a firm grasp of.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.