Also found in: Acronyms.
1. slang Someone considered uncool and eccentric, typically due to being passionate about interests that are not generally popular, and perhaps also to being somewhat socially inept. Used in a derogatory way. Just ask one of those geeks if you can borrow their notes. Did some geek really try to ask you to the dance? Ugh. I thought this was supposed to be a party—it's just geeks playing Dungeons and Dragons!
2. slang Someone unabashedly passionate about a very specific interest or interests. Used as a term of endearment or pride. Finally, a convention for me and my fellow geeks. I'm a chess geek, so I've watched every chess documentary I can kind.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a disgusting and repellent person; a creep. (Rude and derogatory.) The convention was a seething morass of pushy sales geeks and glad-handers.
2. n. an earnest student; a hardworking student. (Usually objectionable.) It looks like the geeks are taking over this campus. How gross!
3. n. a person, soldier, or civilian of an East Asian country, especially in wartime. (Rude and derogatory.) Willy is tired of geeks and the way they talk.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.