give birth to (someone or something)(redirected from gave birth to them)
give birth to (someone or something)
1. To birth a baby. Angela gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last night.
2. To bring something into existence. The technological advances gave birth to the Industrial Revolution.
give birth to someone or something
1. Lit. to have a child; [for an animal] to bring forth young. She gave birth to a baby girl. The cat gave birth to a large number of adorable kittens.
2. Fig. to bring forth a new idea, an invention, a nation, etc. The company gave birth to a new technology. The basic idea of participatory democracy gave birth to a new nation.
give birth to
1. Bear a child, as in She gave birth to her first child exactly at midnight. [Early 1800s]
2. Also, give rise to. Be the cause or origin of. For example, His hobby gave birth to a very successful business, or The economic situation gave rise to widespread dissatisfaction. The first term dates from the early 1700s, the second from the late 1700s.
give ˈbirth (to somebody/something)produce a baby or young animal: She died shortly after giving birth. ♢ Mary gave birth to a healthy baby girl. ♢ (figurative) It was the study of history that gave birth to the social sciences.
give birth to
1. To bear as offspring.
2. To be the origin of: a hobby that gave birth to a successful business.