Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gather: gather together
1. Lit. to collect something and bring it in; to harvest something. We gathered the pumpkins in just before Halloween. We gathered in the pumpkins just in time.
2. . Fig. to fold or bunch cloth together when sewing or fitting clothing. Try gathering it in on each side to make it seem smaller. I will have to gather in this skirt.
- a closed mouth gathers no feet
- a rolling stone gathers no moss
- be gathered to (one's) fathers
- build a case
- collect (one's) wits
- collect your wits
- collect/gather your wits
- gather (a)round (someone or something)
- gather (one's) wits
- gather (someone) into (something)
- gather (something) from (someone or something)
- gather a case
- gather a case against (someone or something)
- gather around
- gather dust
- gather from
- gather in
- gather into
- gather to (oneself)
- gather to oneself
- gather together
- gather up
- Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
- Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.
- gather your wits
- rolling stone
- rolling stone gathers no moss