gas(redirected from gases)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
a (real) gas
slang A thoroughly entertaining, enjoyable, or amusing experience. You guys have to come to this party—it's a real gas! I went out last night with all my old high school buddies for a night on the town. It was a gas! Oh wow, I thought last night was a real gas. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy yourself.
See also: gas
slang Especially funny, humorous, or entertaining. Primarily heard in Ireland. A: "So then I tell yer man that he'd be better off walking home!" B: "Ha, that's gas, Rory!" You haven't met Sarah? You'll love her, she's gas!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. intestinal gas. The baby has gas and will cry for a while longer.
2. n. nonsense. Hey, that’s about enough of your gas.
3. in. to talk nonsense; to brag. (see also gasbag.) Stop gassing for a minute and listen.
4. in. to have a good time. We gassed all evening.
5. and gasser n. a joke; a prank; a wild time. What a gas! I had a great time.
6. n. liquor, especially inferior liquor. Pour me a little more of that gas, will you?
7. and gas up in. to drink excessively; to get drunk. I come home every night and find that you’ve been gassing all day. He gassed up for a couple of hours while waiting for the plane.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a (real) gas
- all gas and gaiters
- be cooking on gas
- be cooking with gas
- be out of gas
- cook with gas
- cooking with gas
- gas guzzler
- gas up
- have a gas
- hit the gas
- it's a gas
- now (one's) cooking (with gas)
- out of gas
- pass gas
- pour gas/gasoline on the fire
- run out of
- run out of gas
- step on the gas
- take the gas pipe
- take the pipe