gamble on (someone or something)(redirected from gamble on her)
gamble on (someone or something)
1. To risk an amount of money by betting on a particular person or outcome. If you gamble on the winning boxer, you'll make a lot of money tonight.
2. To predict or anticipate something. I'm hiding in the closet because I didn't gamble on my ex-boyfriend coming to this party too!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
gamble on someone or something
1. Lit. to make a wager on something concerning someone or something. I wouldn't gamble on it happening. Don't gamble on that horse. You'll be sorry.
2. Fig. to run a risk by choosing or depending on someone or something. I wouldn't gamble on Ted's being able to come. I don't think he can. Don't gamble on Ted. I'm almost sure he won't come.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To wager something on the outcome of some event: I gambled all my money on the first race. They don't like to gamble on poker games; they just play for fun.
2. To wager something on some participant in an event: I gambled $50 on my favorite horse.
3. To anticipate or foresee something: I didn't gamble on it raining, so I hadn't brought an umbrella.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.