Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
To deceive or swindle one. That guy is definitely futzing you, boss—I just watched him pocket money from the cash register.
1. To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting; to fool around. I can't believe we wasted the whole day just futzing around the house. Quit futzing around and work on your book report already, Scotty!
2. To play or tinker (with something). Hey, don't futz around with the thermostat—it needs to stay at 68 degrees. Grandpa's still futzing around with that old radio, but I doubt he'll get it to work again.
To bungle something or cause problems. A noun or pronoun can be used between "futz" and "up." If you're the one who futzed up the printer, then help me clear this paper jam. Mom wasn't going to punish me, but you futzed it all up when you opened your big mouth about how I got home past curfew last night!
futz (around) with (something)
slang To play or tinker with something. Hey, don't futz with the thermostat—it needs to stay at 68 degrees. Grandpa's still futzing around with that old radio, but I doubt he'll get it to work again.
1. To waste time aimlessly or uselessly; to loaf or procrastinate. A variant spelling of "futz," typically followed by "with (something)" or "around." Stop phutzing with that old radio, and do your chores like I asked you! We were supposed to be working on our essays, but we just phutzed around for most of the day.
2. To deceive or swindle someone or some group. A variant spelling of "futz." That guy is definitely phutzing you, boss—I just watched him pocket money from the cash register. If you think you can phutz the government and get away with it, you've got another think coming!
slang To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting; to fool around. I can't believe we wasted the whole day just putzing around the house. Quit putzing around and work on your book report already, Scotty!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Sl. to waste time. Stop futzing around and get the job done. I wish you would stop futzing around!
Futz something up
Sl. to mess something up. Who futzed the computer up? I don't want to futz up the deal, so I will be quiet.
Inf. to fiddle around; to mess around. Stop some time puzzling over her. While I was puzzling over putzing around and get to work. Those guys spend most why she had slapped me, she did it again, of their time just putzing around.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Also, futz with. Waste time or effort on frivolities, play around. For example, He spent all morning futzing around with the report, or No more futzing with the car-we have to go now. This term may be a shortening and corruption of the Yiddish arumfartzen, for "fart around." [Slang; 1920s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To act foolishly, playfully, or without a clear sense of purpose; goof off: The kids were futzing around so much that they didn't finish their chores.
2. To manipulate something without a clear sense of purpose: Stop futzing around with the door handle, or you'll break it.
To fail at or make a mess of something: I read the speech as well as I could, but I futzed it up. We futzed up the trip because we got lost. Don't drink before going onstage—you'll futz up.
To manipulate something without a clear sense of purpose: The child futzed with the toy, and then it broke.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
futz something up
tv. to mess something up. I don’t want to futz up the deal, so I will be quiet.
phutzand futz (fəts)
tv. to rob, swindle, or cheat someone. Don’t futz me! Tell the truth!
putz aroundand futz around
in. to waste time; to do something ineffectually. (Putz is probably putz (sense 1).) Get busy and stop putzing around.
See putz around
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.