Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. rude slang To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting; to fool around. I can't believe we spent the whole day just fucking around online.
2. rude slang To deceive someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "around." Come on, don't fuck me around. Is this a serious offer or not?
3. rude slang To tease or play a prank on one, often by trying to get them to believe something that is not true. Please stop fucking around. You didn't really hear a knock on the window, did you? Did she really ask you about me, or are you fucking around with me?
4. vulgar slang To be promiscuous. Well, I wouldn't trust Phil if I were dating him—I hear he fucks around.
1. Fool around, engage in frivolous activity, as in Stop fucking around and get the job done, or I'm tired of fucking around-let's go home. [ Vulgar slang; 1920s]
2. fuck someone around. Cheat, treat badly or make trouble for someone, as in Stop fucking me around; I know what you're up to. [ Vulgar slang; mid-1900s]
3. Be sexually promiscuous, as in Doesn't he have a reputation for fucking around? [ Vulgar slang; c. 1930]
in. to waste time; to mess around. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) Stop fucking around and get busy!