front(redirected from front something)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb To pay for some item or service before it is rendered. Don't front too much money for Richie's latest scheme—it's bound to fail, like all the others. I had to front the dealer $2,000 for my new car.
2. verb, slang To confront or accost someone. I wouldn't front those guys, they're dangerous!
3. verb, slang To act inauthentically; to put on a front. A: "Kelly's no party girl, so I don't know why she feels like she has to front." B: "Probably so those dumb sorority girls will like her."
4. noun Something reputable that hides underhanded or illegal activities. You know their restaurant is just a front, right? Those guys are really in the mob.
5. noun A manner of inauthentic behavior. You don't have to put up a front for me, I'm your best friend—you can tell me how you're really feeling.
front someone some amount of money
to provide an advance payment of some amount to someone. The buyer fronted me half the purchase price as a favor.
1. in. to pay out money in advance of receiving goods; to pay up front. (see also front money.) I fronted about $550 for the new computer.
2. n. a respectable appearance. Jan can put up a good front, but most of us know the real Jan.
3. in. to pretend; to lie. Stop fronting and be yourself.
4. tv. to challenge someone; to confront someone, perhaps in anger. Don’t front me unless you are ready for a fight.
n. clothing; a sports jacket. You got some good-looking fronts there.
See also: front
- all quiet on the Western Front
- back to front
- be in the front line
- be on the front foot
- brave face, put on a
- burn (one's) bridges in front of (one)
- burn bridges in front of
- can't see (one's) hand in front of (one's) face
- can't see hand in front of face
- cook on the front burner
- cook with gas
- dangle (something) in front of (one)
- dangle a carrot in front of (one)
- dangle a carrot in front of someone
- dangle before
- front and center
- front burner, on a
- front burner, on a/the
- front foot
- front for
- front for (someone or something)
- front load
- front man
- front money
- front of house
- front off
- front off about something
- front office
- front on
- front on (something)
- front onto
- front onto (something)
- front runner
- front some amount of money
- front wall
- in front
- in front of
- in front of (one's) nose
- in front of (one's) very eyes
- in front of (someone or something)
- in the front line
- in the front line(s) (of something)
- lead from the front
- on the front burner
- on the front foot
- on the front line(s) of (something)
- on the home front
- out front
- parade in front of
- parade in front of (someone or something)
- pull in front (of someone or something)
- pull in front of
- put (someone or something) in front of (someone or something)
- put (something) on the front burner
- put a brave face on something
- put a brave front on
- put on a (brave) front
- put on a brave front
- put one foot in front of the other
- put up a (brave) front
- put up a brave front
- put up a front
- swim in front of (one's) eyes
- the front office
- up front