frighten (one) into (something)(redirected from frightened me into)
frighten (one) into (something)
1. To scare or intimidate one into doing something. The clap of thunder frightened Katie into jumping out of her chair. The threat of snow frightened me into staying home.
2. To scare or intimidate one into entering some place or thing. I had to frighten the dog back into the house—we were already running late, and she wasn't listening to any of my commands. Frighten the children into the school, do you whatever you have to do—just get them inside before this storm hits
3. To scare one into a particular emotional state. Don't let Betsy watch a horror movie—they always frighten her into a whimpering mess.
frighten someone (or an animal) into somethingand frighten someone or an animal in
1. to scare someone or an animal into entering something or some place. The trouble in the neighborhood frightened most of the residents into their houses. The mouse was out of its hole, but we came in and frightened the little mouse back in.
2. to scare someone or an animal into a particular state. They frightened me into a quivering mass. The mouse was frightened into a state of confusion.
frighten (someone or an animal) into doing something
to threaten someone or an animal into doing something. You can't frighten me into leaving! Let's try to frighten the coyotes into running away.