Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to frat: hazing
1. noun, slang A shortening of "fraternity," a social organization for male undergraduate students. I have no plans to join a frat in college—that lifestyle just doesn't appeal to me.
2. adjective, slang Relating to such a group. I went to a frat party last night, and it was pretty lame, honestly. If you're looking for Mike, you might want to check the frat house—he's usually there in the afternoons.
slang "Frat" is a shortening of "fraternity," a social organization within a college or university designated by Greek letters and consisting of male members.
1. A member of a fraternity who encourages or engages in illegal activities, especially hazing rituals. We don't tolerate frat rats here. If you want to be a member of this fraternity, then you're in it to promote the values of respect, brotherhood, and community. You are not here to get wasted and demean others. He and 11 other frat rats have been booked in relation to the death of an 18-year-old pledge during a hazing ritual.
2. A person, usually a female college student and especially a member of a sorority, who spends a large amount of time socializing at a particular fraternity. Sarah has become a total frat rat over at ΦΨΩ. She spends more time there than she does in her own sorority!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a fraternity. (Collegiate.) Are you going to join a frat?
2. mod. having to do with fraternities and their members. (Collegiate.) Is there a frat party tonight?
n. a college fraternity member. (Derogatory.) The frat rats had a kegger that ended up a brawl.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.