forget (about) it(redirected from forget about it!)
forget (about) it
1. To not expect something to work or happen. Often used as an imperative. If it's a pay raise you're looking for, you can just forget about it. Forget it, there's no way we could get up there without better equipment.
2. Nevermind; I am not going to explain further. Forget about it. I don't want to talk about it. You know what, just forget it. I'm sorry I ever mentioned it.
3. Don't mention it; it was nothing. A response to someone thanking one. A: "Thank you again for your help yesterday." B: "Forget it, I was happy to lend a hand."
4. Don't worry about it; don't consider it a problem. You're still thinking about that? I told you I'm over it. Forget about it.
5. An expression used to indicate that what has just been mentioned is superlative or extreme, and perhaps cannot be put into words. Their wedding ceremony was already a bit weird, but the reception? Forget about it! They were good last year, but with the new draft pick? Forget about it!
Overlook it, it's not important; you're quite mistaken. This colloquial imperative is used in a variety of ways. For example, in Thanks so much for helping-Forget it, it was nothing, it is a substitute for "don't mention it" or you're welcome; in Stop counting the change-forget it! it means "stop doing something unimportant" in You think assembling this swingset was easy-forget it! it means "it was not at all easy"; and in Forget it-you'll never understand this theorem it means that the possibility of your understanding it is hopeless. [c. 1900]
1 used to tell somebody that something is not important and that they should not worry about it: ‘I still owe you for lunch yesterday.’ ‘Forget it — it was my treat!’
2 used to tell somebody that you are not going to repeat what you said: ‘Now, what were you saying about John?’ ‘Forget it, it doesn’t matter.’
3 used to emphasize that you are saying ‘no’ to something: ‘Any chance of you helping out here?’ ‘Forget it, I’ve got too much to do.’
4 used to tell somebody to stop talking about something because they are annoying you: Just forget it, will you?