fob off(redirected from fobbing something off)
1. To evade or dupe someone or avoid some responsibility through some form of deceit. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fob" and "off." I didn't feel like working in the tutoring center today, so I fobbed my teacher off with the first excuse I could think of.
2. To attempt to sell, dispose of, or pass off something through fraudulent or deceptive means. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fob" and "off." He's been fobbing off cheap watches as Rolexes out on the street. It turns out the student had purchased a pre-written essay online and tried to fob it off on his professor.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
fob someone or something off (on or onto someone)
to get rid of someone or something by transferring someone or something to someone. Don't try to fob your girlfriend off on me! He also fobbed off a bad car on Jane. Some car dealers are always trying to fob something off.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Sell or dispose of goods by fraud or deception, as in They tried to fob off the zircon as a diamond. [c. 1600]
2. Put off or appease by deceitful means, as in We needed her help but were fobbed off by promises. [c. 1600]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To dispose of something by fraud or deception; palm off: The jeweler fobbed off the zircon as a diamond. The crook fobbed the broken computer off as functional.
2. To put someone off or appease someone by deceit or evasion: He wanted to go on a date, but she fobbed him off with excuses. The landlord fobbed off the tenants' complaints for another month.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.