flunk out(redirected from flunked out)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. To no longer be allowed to participate in something (often some form of schooling) due to failing grades. I started going to the tutoring center because another failing grade means I'll flunk out of school!
2. By extension, to fail in any pursuit. I flunked out as a model because I hated having to travel so much.
3. To give one a grade that causes them to fail a course or academic program. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "flunk" and "out." But if you don't give me at least a B, you'll flunk me out!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
flunk someone out
to give one a grade that forces one to leave school or a course. The math professor flunked me out. He expects too much. She flunked out half the class!
flunk out (of something)
to leave school or a course because of failure. Fred flunked out of school and never tried to go back. That's it. All F's. I've flunked out.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Expel or be expelled from a school because one's work does not meet the required standard. For example, He flunked out of Harvard after just one year. [Slang; early 1800s]
2. Fail at anything, as in The camera ran out of film so we flunked out as photographers. [Slang; late 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
To expel or be expelled from a school or course because of work that does not meet requirements or standards: His grade-point average was less than 2.0, so the college flunked him out. Students lacking adequate math skills will flunk out of the physics program.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.