floor (one)(redirected from floors me)
To cause one a great deal of shock, surprise, or disbelief. Her accusations totally floored me. How on earth could she think that I had been stealing from the company? The severity of the losses floored the board of directors.
To drive as fast as possible. A reference to the act of pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor of the car. Floor it, or we'll never get to the airport on time!
1. Shocked or flabbergasted. I was completely floored by Rob's declaration of love—I had no idea he felt that way about me!
2. slang Struck and knocked to the floor. Can you believe that bully got floored by such a scrawny kid?
3. slang Drunk. Do you remember last night at the bar at all? You were really floored!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Fig. the exclusive right to address the audience. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; hold ~; grant someone~.) When I get the floor, I'll make a short speech. The last time you had the floor, you talked for an hour.
to surprise and astound someone. His brashness simply floored me!
Fig. to press down hard and fast on the accelerator of a vehicle. She floored it and sped off over the hill.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. mod. surprised. You looked floored when I came in. Wasn’t I invited?
2. mod. knocked to the floor by a blow. The guy was floored and didn’t move a muscle—ever again.
3. mod. alcohol intoxicated. He’s totally floored. Can’t see a hole in a ladder.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.