flip over(redirected from flipped over him)
1. To overturn. Please flip over onto your stomach so I can have a look at your back. The car hit a patch of ice and flipped over on the road.
2. To cause someone or something to turn over. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "flip" and "over." I used a spatula to flip the pancake over. It looks like the wind flipped over our porch chairs last night.
3. To become very excited or upset as a result of something (stated after "over"). Mom is going to flip over your report card—I can't believe you're failing three classes! The kids will definitely flip over the toys you got them.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
flip someone or something over
to turn someone or something over quickly. He flipped over the fish and removed the scales from its other side. Billy flipped Bobby over and started hitting him on the other side.
flip over someone or something
Sl. to become very excited about someone or something; to lose control because of someone or something. I flipped over her the first time I ever saw her. The guests really flipped over the Beef Wellington!
to turn over quickly. The fish flipped over and flipped back over again. The cat flipped over and ran away.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To reverse orientation so that the top surface or part faces down: The tables flipped over in the strong breeze.
2. To reverse the orientation of something so that its top surface or part faces down: I flipped the record over to listen to the other side. I flipped over the card to reveal the ace of spades. The children flipped the toy train over to look at its underside.
3. To be astounded by and react strongly to something: The children flipped over the large stuffed bear in the store window and asked their parents to buy it.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
flip over someone/something
in. to become very excited about someone or something; to lose control because of someone or something. The guests really flipped over the Beef Wellington!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.