flip out(redirected from flip her out)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang To suddenly express anger or excitement in a very visible way. Mom will flip out when she finds out we broke her vase! When Jenny saw that we'd rented a pony for her birthday party, she totally flipped out.
2. slang To become emotionally unstable or unmoored. I think I flipped out a bit after college because I had no direction in my life. After the divorce, Pete flipped out and started getting into some weird stuff.
3. slang To cause someone to have an extreme emotional reaction, whether positive or negative. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "flip" and "out." If we rent a pony for Jenny's birthday party, it will totally flip her out. No way, man—haunted houses really flip me out.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Sl. to lose control of oneself. After a sleepless night, Wally simply flipped out. I felt like I was going to flip out from the steady dripping of the faucet.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To go crazy: The neighbors flipped out when my oak tree crashed onto their property.
2. To react strongly and especially enthusiastically; flip: When the broker showed me the spacious new apartment, I flipped out. The customer flipped out over the luxurious black convertible.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
in. to lose control of oneself; to go crazy. Wow, I almost flipped out when I heard about it.
flip someone outverb
See flip someone off
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.