flimflam(redirected from flimflammery)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
a flimflam artist
Someone who acts deceptively and tries to trick people. The word "flimflam" is thought to be of Scandinavian origin. I suspect those guys are flimflam artists, that's why they want so much money up front. I tried out Jane's so called "revolutionary" invention, and the piece of junk doesn't even work! She's a total flimflam artist. I wish I'd realized that guy was a flimflam artist before I gave him the last of my money.
1. verb To deceive, mislead, or trick someone. The word is thought to be of Scandinavian origin. I wish I'd realized that guy was flimflamming me before I gave him the last of my money.
2. noun A trick, fraud, or deception. I suspect those guys are running an elaborate flimflam, that's why they want so much money up front.
3. noun Nonsense or foolishness. Don't listen to that guy—everything he says is flimflam.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a confidence trick or deception. The whole business sounds like a bit of flimflam to me.
2. n. nonsense; deception. Beware of the flimflam they will try to pull on you.
3. tv. & in. to cheat or deceive (someone). Don’t try to flimflam me. I wasn’t born yesterday, you know.
n. someone who practices confidence tricks or deceptions on someone else. I don’t trust that flimflam artist at all.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
A swindler. Flimflam artist indulged in confidence games in which the victim is persuaded to buy worthless property. These crooks go after bigger game than street hustlers, card sharps, or bait and switchers do because of the time and preparation that their scams require. “Flimflam” has been traced back to a Scandinavian word, although folk etymology has come up with a connection to an early 20th-century New York City law firm of dubious reputation, Flam & Flam.
Endangered Phrases by Steven D. Price Copyright © 2011 by Steven D. Price