fire out(redirected from fired her out)
1. Of a firearm or ballistic weapon, to discharge, propelling one or more projectiles outward. A pistol fired out suddenly, scattering everyone in the crowd. The cannons fired out, blasting holes in the sides of the other ship.
2. Of a bullet or other projectile, to discharge out of a firearm or ballistic weapon. Bullets kept firing out from the machine guns. The missiles fired out with incredible speed.
3. To eject or expel someone out of some place or organization. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "fire" and "out." I fired the man out of the bar after he started making disparaging comments about the other patrons. The headmaster fired the student out of the school for his unruly behavior.
4. To throw, toss, or hurl something out (of something or some place). In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fire" and "out." He opened up the window and began firing out his ex-wife's belongings. Someone drove by and fired a rock out the window at me.
5. To send some brief or terse written communication very quickly or abruptly. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fire" and "out." The CEO fired a message out to investors assuring them of the company's financial stability. The head of the union fired out a rather nasty email last night accusing several of our members of violating the rules of the organization.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.