Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb, slang To identify (someone) as responsible for some crime or wrongdoing. I heard that Tommy the Turk got fingered as the mastermind behind the robbery. The former politician swore revenge against the whistleblower who fingered him to the authorities.
2. verb, vulgar slang To stimulate (someone) sexually through the insertion of one or more fingers into the vagina or anus.
3. noun, informal A single measure of alcohol, with the amount in the glass corresponding roughly to the width of one's finger. We only had enough vodka for everyone to have a finger. Gimme two fingers of whiskey, Jake.
give (someone) the/a two-fingered salute
To make a rude gesture at someone by raising one's index and middle fingers in their direction The car behind me had been honking at me to go faster, so I just gave him a two-fingered salute when he eventually passed by. I threw the customer out of the restaurant when I caught him giving a member of our waitstaff the two-fingered salute.
Adept at or given to thievery (as or as if due to having dexterous, nimble fingers). Oh yeah, Joss was light-fingered as a teen. She got busted for shoplifting twice!
slang A rude gesture of anger, displeasure, or dismissal in which the index and middle fingers are raised, with the back of one's hand facing the other person. Primarily heard in UK. The car behind me had been honking at me to go faster, so I just held up a two-fingered salute when he eventually passed by. I threw the customer out of the restaurant when I caught him giving a member of our waitstaff the two-fingered salute.
See also: salute
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. tv. to point someone out; to identify someone (as having done something, been somewhere, etc.). Pete fingered Marty as being the one who arrived first.
2. n. someone who identifies criminals for the police; a police informer. (Underworld.) Taylor has become a finger for the cops.
3. n. an amount of liquor poured into a glass equal to the width of a finger. Britney said she only drank one finger, but the glass was five inches in diameter!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.