fill up(redirected from fills up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To cause someone to feel full from eating, as by providing them with food. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fill" and "up." If the kids aren't hungry, it's probably because your mother filled them up with junk food.
2. To become full of something. The hamper filled up in no time when we got back from our trip.
3. To cause something to become full of or crammed with something In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fill" and "up." Did you fill the hamper up already? Where am I going to put my dirty clothes?
4. To put fuel in a vehicle's gas tank. Let me just stop and fill up before we get on the highway.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
fill someone or something up (with something)
to put as much as possible into someone or something. We filled him up with chili and crackers. We will fill up the basket with leaves. I will fill the basket up with flowers.
1. to become full. The creek filled up after the heavy rain yesterday. The rain barrel began to fill up during the storm.
2. to fill one's gas tank. I've got to stop and fill up. The gas tank is running low. We will fill up at the next little town.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To become full: The bucket filled up with rain. The train filled up quickly, so we had to stand in the aisle.
2. To cause something to become full: I filled up the sink with soapy water. We inflated the pool and filled it up with water.
3. To fill some vehicle with fuel: I said to the mechanic, "Fill it up!" You'd better fill up the car soon. If we don't fill up now, we could run out of gas.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.