figure on (someone or something)(redirected from figures on us)
figure on (someone or something)
1. To depend or rely on someone or something. I thought we could figure on your help with this event, but I guess not. We were figuring on that tax refund to help get us through the next month.
2. To anticipate something. The kids always figure on my financial assistance, and that needs to stop before I go broke! I hadn't figured on seeing you here, John. How are things?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
figure on someone or something
to count on someone or something; to assume something about someone or something. I am figuring on twelve people for dinner next Friday. We are figuring on you and your wife for dinner next weekend.
figure on doing something
to plan on something. I figured on arriving at the party around eight o'clock. Jane figured on spending $25 on dinner.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Depend on, count on, as in We figured on your support.
2. Take into consideration, expect, as in We figured on his being late.
3. Plan, as in We'll figure on leaving at noon. All three colloquial usages date from about 1900.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To depend on something: We figured on your support when we made up the plans.
2. To guess that something will transpire; estimate: I figured on traffic being heavy, so I left early.
3. To plan on doing something; anticipate: We figure on leaving for the store at noon.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.