figure out(redirected from figured out)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To come to understand someone or something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "figure" and "out." Can you figure out these instructions? What do you think we're supposed to do next? A: "I just can't figure the new kid out." B: "I know, he's kind of weird."
2. To determine something. Have you guys figured out a venue for the party yet?
figure someone or something out
to begin to comprehend someone or something; to come to understand someone or something better. I just can't figure you out. I can't figure out quiet people readily.
1. Discover or determine, as in Let's figure out a way to help. [Early 1900s]
2. Solve or decipher, as in Can you figure out this puzzle? [Early 1800s]
1. To discover or decide something: Let's figure out a way to help. We figured out when to hold the next meeting.
2. To solve or decipher something: Can you figure this puzzle out? Late into the night, I figured out my homework assignment.