Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to figured: figure out
1. To come to understand someone or something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "figure" and "out." Can you figure out these instructions? What do you think we're supposed to do next? A: "I just can't figure the new kid out." B: "I know, he's kind of weird."
2. To determine something. Have you guys figured out a venue for the party yet?
figure in(to) (something)
1. To incorporate or include someone or something in something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "figure" and "in." Before you accept this job offer, you need to figure the long commute in. Is the legal department coming too? Shoot, I didn't figure them into my count when I reserved the smaller conference room.
2. To add a number or amount to something. Wait, did you figure in the sales tax when you calculated the total?
3. To be a significant factor in a decision. Of course his many years of experience figured into our decision to hire him!
See also: figure
To add or total something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "figure" and "up." Do you mind figuring up the total for us?
figure someone or something out
to begin to comprehend someone or something; to come to understand someone or something better. I just can't figure you out. I can't figure out quiet people readily.
figure something up
to add up the amount of something. Please figure the bill up. We have to go now. I will figure up the bill right away.
1. Discover or determine, as in Let's figure out a way to help. [Early 1900s]
2. Solve or decipher, as in Can you figure out this puzzle? [Early 1800s]
Calculate, total, as in Please figure up just how many feet of lumber we need. [Late 1800s]
1. To discover or decide something: Let's figure out a way to help. We figured out when to hold the next meeting.
2. To solve or decipher something: Can you figure this puzzle out? Late into the night, I figured out my homework assignment.
To calculate something, especially by addition: That's all of the supplies we need; can you figure up the total for us? We figured up the bill incorrectly; everyone owes another $10.