figure out(redirected from figure us out)
1. To come to understand someone or something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "figure" and "out." Can you figure out these instructions? What do you think we're supposed to do next? A: "I just can't figure the new kid out." B: "I know, he's kind of weird."
2. To determine something. Have you guys figured out a venue for the party yet?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
figure someone or something out
to begin to comprehend someone or something; to come to understand someone or something better. I just can't figure you out. I can't figure out quiet people readily.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Discover or determine, as in Let's figure out a way to help. [Early 1900s]
2. Solve or decipher, as in Can you figure out this puzzle? [Early 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To discover or decide something: Let's figure out a way to help. We figured out when to hold the next meeting.
2. To solve or decipher something: Can you figure this puzzle out? Late into the night, I figured out my homework assignment.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.