Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. Nimble maneuvering with one's feet. The quarterback's fancy footwork helped him to avoid a tackle. I'm not a good enough dancer to attempt fancy footwork like that!
2. By extension, clever thinking or actions, especially when navigating a complex or difficult issue. Oh man, it's going to take some fancy footwork to get us out of this problem.
1. Lit. clever and intricate dance steps. The old man was known for his fancy footwork when he was on Broadway.
2. Lit. adroit movements of the feet that help someone retain balance or move through treacherous territory. It took some fancy footwork to get down the mountain carrying the injured child.
3. Fig. a clever and intricate strategy that helps someone get out of trouble. The governor did some fancy footwork to keep from getting blamed for the scandal.
fancy footworkand fast footwork
n. artful maneuvering; fast and clever thinking. Ken did a lot of fancy footwork to get out of that one.