Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. Nimble maneuvering with one's feet. The quarterback's fancy footwork helped him to avoid a tackle. I'm not a good enough dancer to attempt fancy footwork like that!
2. By extension, clever thinking or actions, especially when navigating a complex or difficult issue. Oh man, it's going to take some fancy footwork to get us out of this problem.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. clever and intricate dance steps. The old man was known for his fancy footwork when he was on Broadway.
2. Lit. adroit movements of the feet that help someone retain balance or move through treacherous territory. It took some fancy footwork to get down the mountain carrying the injured child.
3. Fig. a clever and intricate strategy that helps someone get out of trouble. The governor did some fancy footwork to keep from getting blamed for the scandal.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
fancy footworkand fast footwork
n. artful maneuvering; fast and clever thinking. Ken did a lot of fancy footwork to get out of that one.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.