fall under (someone or something)(redirected from fall under us)
fall under (someone or something)
1. To drop or tumble beneath someone or something. The permission slip fell under the bookcase—that's why I never signed it.
2. To fit into a particular category. I'm sorry, but I can't speak on the matter—it doesn't fall under my jurisdiction as a judge.
3. To come under the influence or control of someone because one finds them fascinating, enchanting, or seductive. Our son has never acted out like this before. I think he must have fallen under the spell of that new friend of his. Such was the magnitude of her beauty that countless men have fallen under the spell of the duchess.
fall under someone or something
to drop down and end up beneath someone or something. The old man fell under the wheels of the truck, but he suffered only minor injuries. The child tripped and fell under Mrs. Rogers, who almost did not see her.
1. Be classified as, as in These scores fall under choral music. [Mid-1400s]
2. Be subject to, as in This precinct falls under the city's jurisdiction. [Second half of 1500s]
1. To be classified or considered as something, or to be represented by something: These animals fall under the classification "endangered species."
2. To be controlled or deeply swayed by something; be mesmerized: We fell under the magic spell of the singer's performance.