fall under (something)(redirected from fall under us)
fall under (something)
1. To drop or tumble beneath something. The permission slip fell under the bookcase—that's why I never signed it.
2. To fit into a particular category. A: "What part of the manual should we consult to fix the issue?" B: "Well, I think it would fall under 'network connectivity issues,' so let's start there." Despite their appearance, dolphins actually fall under the classification of mammal.
3. To be subject to or come under the influence of something. Our son has never acted out like this before. I think he must have fallen under the spell of that new friend of his. I'm sorry, but I can't speak on the matter—it doesn't fall under my jurisdiction as a judge.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
fall under someone or something
to drop down and end up beneath someone or something. The old man fell under the wheels of the truck, but he suffered only minor injuries. The child tripped and fell under Mrs. Rogers, who almost did not see her.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Be classified as, as in These scores fall under choral music. [Mid-1400s]
2. Be subject to, as in This precinct falls under the city's jurisdiction. [Second half of 1500s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To be classified or considered as something, or to be represented by something: These animals fall under the classification "endangered species."
2. To be controlled or deeply swayed by something; be mesmerized: We fell under the magic spell of the singer's performance.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.