fall behind(redirected from fall behind with something)
(in something) and fall behind (on something); fall behind (with something); get behind (in something); get behind (on something); get behind (with something) to lag behind schedule in some kind of work or some other scheduled activity. You are falling behind in your car payments. I tried not to get behind on them. Please don't fall behind with your payments. I won't fall behind again.
(someone or something) to lag behind someone or something. You have fallen behind everyone else in class. Our production fell behind that of the other production line.
(with something) Go to fall behind (in something).
Also, get behind.
1. Lag, fail to keep up, as in You really must keep up with the others; if you fall behind you could get lost. [First half of 1500s]
2. Be financially in arrears, as in He fell behind in his payments. [Mid-1800s]
1. To fail to keep up a pace; lag behind: Despite a strong performance in the beginning, he fell behind in the second half of the race and finished last.
2. To fail to maintain a desired level of performance: She missed two classes and fell behind in her reading assignments.
3. To be financially in arrears: After losing my job, I fell behind on the mortgage payments.