extend to (someone or something)(redirected from extend to us)
extend to (someone or something)
1. To spread or continue to some area or point. Has the leak in the kitchen extended to the living room now too?
2. To include or encompass someone or something. The handbook extends to seniors too, so you'll get a demerit if your shirt isn't tucked in.
3. To cause something to become longer, either in physical length or duration. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "extend" and "to." Can you extend the measuring tape to this spot on the wall?
4. To share something with someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "extend" and "to." I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's passing. Please extend my sympathy to your mother as well.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
extend something to something
1. . to lengthen something to reach something. We extended the antenna to its full length. Extend your arm to the wall and see how straight you can make it.
2. to push a stated deadline further into the future. I will extend the deadline to Friday. We cannot extend the due date to next month.
extend to someone or something
to reach all the way to someone or something. This policy extends to you also. The road extends to Los Angeles.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To stretch out to some point: The road extends to the next city.
2. To lengthen or prolong something to some point: We extended the table's legs to raise its height. I'd like to extend my holiday to the weekend.
3. To include someone or something in a sphere of influence: These rules extend to applications submitted before this morning.
4. To offer something to someone: Extend my best wishes to your family.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.