expecting


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

expecting

euphemism Pregnant. I heard that you're expecting—congratulations! When is the baby due?
See also: expect

expecting (a child)

to be pregnant. Tommy's mother is expecting a child. Oh, I didn't know she was expecting.
See also: expect
References in periodicals archive ?
Women are more optimistic about their financial futures than men are: 11.7% of women expect a significant improvement and 33% expect modest improvements, compared to 10.3% of men expecting significant improvements and 20.2% expect modest improvements.
Among those expecting a change in style, 60 percent do not expect the change to affect market volatility, while the remaining 40 percent foresee an increase in volatility.
Even though corn prices have declined sharply compared to last spring, we are not expecting farmers to cut corn acreage in 2005.
"The Task Group 3a speeds have not been approved yet, but we're expecting speeds of 100Mbps on the low end and 500Mbps at the high end."
The City of North Bay was expecting to turn on their $1.3-million ultraviolet (UV) disinfectant equipment by the end of January.
However, those females who may not have proven themselves as able, or demonstrated characteristics to achieve, and are only expecting to achieve good grades will surely benefit from some reality check as they learn to develop a rather healthier perspective and critical appraisal of their learning situations.
"Many industries and business analysts were expecting the domestic economy to begin its recovery in the third quarter of 2001.
"The transportation and energy industries will be especially hard hit by the increase in the price of fuel, with CFOs in these industries expecting price increases of 9.5 percent."
However, budget officers are expecting their fiscal stance to weaken a little in fiscal 1996 because they are expecting revenue growth to slow.
Overall, pessimism outweighs optimism, with 27.7% expecting their financial situation to decline significantly and 15.9% expecting it to decline modestly.