References in classic literature ?
In the way of literary talk, it is true, the Naval Officer -- an excellent fellow, who came into the office with me, and went out only a little later -- would often engage me in a discussion about one or the other of his favourite topics, Napoleon or Shakespeare.
The Turks of Suaquem have gardens on the firm land, not above a musket shot from the island, which supply them with many excellent herbs and fruits, of which I doubt whether there be not a greater quantity on this little spot than on the whole coast of Africa besides, from Melinda to Suez.
O, I know he's a good fellow--you needn't frown--an excellent fellow, and I always mean to see more of him; but a hide-bound pedant for all that; an ignorant, blatant pedant.
Then the wood-pigeons were devoured to the bones, and declared excellent.
A woman who sends me such excellent cream-cheese is not to be neglected.
He was a man of excellent birth and education, who had squandered a fortune upon the turf, and who lived now by doing a little quiet and genteel book-making in the sporting clubs of London.
The horse did as he was told, and the fox went straight to the lion who lived in a cave close by, and said to him, 'A little way off lies a dead horse; come with me and you may make an excellent meal of his carcase.
Strickland has drawn the portrait of an excellent husband and father, a man of kindly temper, industrious habits, and moral disposition.
In reality," said D'Artagnan, "that is an excellent maxim, which is, unfortunately, seldom carried out in practice.
Though some skeptics smiled when told of Berg's merits, it could not be denied that he was a painstaking and brave officer, on excellent terms with his superiors, and a moral young man with a brilliant career before him and an assured position in society.
Easy, idiomatic, correct, this English version reads like an excellent original English work, and gives fresh proof that the work of translation, if it is to be done with effect, must be done by those who, possessing, like Mrs.
His brains are plentiful and of excellent quality, and often he has told me things I might never have thought of myself.
Blest with an excellent morning appetite - the delightful heritage of a clean life - he enjoyed his breakfast and thoroughly appreciated his cook's efforts.
When my father once stood on the lecturer's rostrum, and delivered his excellent discourse, called "Medical Hints to Maids and Mothers on Tight Lacing and Teething," the benches were left empty by the ungrateful women of England, who were not in the slightest degree anxious to feast their eyes on the sight of a learned adviser and respectable man.
The excellent American shook hands with him on the spot.
Idioms browser ?
- ex cathedra
- ex gratia
- exact (something) from (someone)
- exact from
- examine (someone) for (something)
- examine for
- examine in
- examine on
- examine on (something)
- example is better than precept
- exceed (someone or something) by (something)
- exceed (someone or something) in (something)
- exceed by
- exceed in
- excel at
- excel at (something)
- except for
- except for (someone or something)
- except for one thing
- exception proves the rule, the
- excerpt from
- excerpt from (something)
- excess baggage
- exchange (something) with (someone)
- exchange flesh
- exchange for
- exchange for (something)
- exchange no more than
- exchange no more than (an amount of) words
- exchange with
- excite (something) in (someone)
- excite about
- excite about (something)
- excite in
Full browser ?
- Excellence in Supporting Product Applications and Reliability
- Excellence in Teaching
- Excellence in Transportation
- Excellence Ireland Quality Association
- excellence of behavior
- Excellence of Execution
- Excellence Quotient
- Excellence Shock Wave Therapy
- Excellence Through Commitment to Education and Learning
- Excellence Through Quality
- Excellence to Affordable Housing
- Excellence Uniting Culture, Education and Leadership
- Excellence, Innovative, Training Programs
- excellence, respect, integrity and courage
- Excellence-In-Competition Badge, Pistol
- Excellence-In-Competition Badge, Rifle
- EXcellent Architecture
- Excellent Auto Care & Tire
- Excellent Beginnings National Network, Inc.
- Excellent Clues
- Excellent Companion
- Excellent Condition
- Excellent Coverage Partner
- Excellent Grades & Conduct
- Excellent Job
- excellent judgment
- Excellent Jumper with Weaves
- Excellent Low Emission Vehicle
- Excellent Mobility and Interactive Existence as Workmate
- Excellent Novel Radical
- Excellent Paper Award
- excellent prospect
- Excellent Retrieval System
- Excellent Used Condition
- Excellent Young Teachers Program