enter(redirected from entered)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
enter in(to) (something)
1. To move into something. Once you enter into the parking garage, turn left.
2. To agree to something, such as a contract. It is common law that those who enter into a written agreement must adhere to the terms contained therein.
3. To sign up or enlist for something. I'm a pretty good singer, so I'm definitely entering in the talent show this year.
4. To sign someone else up for something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "enter" and "in(to)." I'm definitely entering Sasha into the talent show this year. She may be shy, but she's a great singer.
5. To submit something into something else, such as a competition. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "enter" and "in(to)." Your short story is fantastic! You really ought to enter it in the writing competition this year. I'm entering my painting into an art contest.
6. To become a part of or factor in something. Once my uncle's shortcomings entered into the dinner conversation, I knew that a fight was inevitable. If Mom and Dad think that alcohol will enter into the equation, they definitely won't let you go to that party.
7. To join or begin to participate in something. Did you hear that Jody is entering into med school in the fall? The two countries have finally entered into treaty negotiations after two years of conflict.
See also: enter
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
(something) by something and enter (something) through something to enter something or some place by way of a certain entrance. We entered the building by the west door. You should enter through the revolving door only.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- abandon hope, all ye who enter here
- all hope abandon, ye who enter here
- breaking and entering
- enter (one's) head
- enter (one's) mind
- enter (one's) name
- enter (up)on (something)
- enter in
- enter in(to) (something)
- enter into
- enter into the spirit
- enter into the spirit (of something)
- enter mind
- enter on
- enter one's mind
- enter somebody's head
- enter somebody's/your name
- enter someone's head
- enter the fray
- enter the lists
- enter the lists, to
- enter upon
- get into the spirit (of something)
- get/enter into the spirit of something
- it never entered (one's) head
- it never entered (one's) mind
- not enter (one's) head
- not enter (one's) mind
- the iron entered into someone's soul
- the iron enters (into) (someone's) soul