Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
enter (up)on (something)
1. Literally, to enter some thing or place as something is happening. Apparently, we entered upon an argument when we arrived late to the family dinner. The teachers were shocked to enter upon a food fight in the cafeteria.
2. To begin or start a course of action. When do you guys enter on your journey?
3. To gain possession or ownership of something. I entered on the property after the landlord agreed to sell it to me.
4. To start thinking about something. In today's meeting, we're going to enter on the issue of job vacancies in our department.
See also: enter
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
enter (up)on something
1. . to come in at a particular point as marked by something. We entered the theater upon the most delicate point of the story. Weenteredon thetail end of a live scene.
2. to begin something. Todd entered upon a new phase of his life. He entered on the management of a new project.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Also, enter upon. Set out, begin, as in We are entering on a new era, or They entered upon the most difficult part of the research. [Early 1600s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To begin or set out on something: With the assassination of the prime minister, the country entered on four years of civil unrest.
2. To begin considering something; take up something: After approving the budget proposal, the committee entered on the problem of raising taxes.
3. To take possession of something: When my uncle passed away, I entered on his estate and began managing the family business.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.