Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
1. rude slang Go away. ("Eff" in these headwords is the phonetic spelling of the letter F, representing the word "fuck.") Eff off, will you? I don't want to hear any more of your crap. A: "Tom wants to ask you some more questions about the project." B: "Tell him to eff off, would you? I'm busy."
2. rude slang To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting. You'd be done with your homework by now if you didn't spend so much time effing off on that phone of yours.
1. verb, rude slang To make a mistake; to mess up. ("Eff" is a shortening of the vulgar word "fuck.") I think I effed up by putting the casserole in the oven too soon. You effed up, Dave. Just admit it, and we can all move on.
2. verb, rude slang To cause someone to make a mistake; to screw someone up. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "eff" and "up." I was trying to build a house of cards when the sudden sound of a car alarm effed me up.
3. verb, rude slang To ruin or damage something; to mess up something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "eff" and "up." The pilots' strike really effed up our vacation plans! Boy, you really effed this engine up. When was the last time you got your oil changed? I effed up my knee in practice last night so I won't be able to play on Saturday.
4. verb, rude slang To cause someone significant injury by physically attacking them, as with punches and other blows. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "eff" and "up." The captain of the football team said he'd eff me up if he caught me talking to his girlfriend again.
5. verb, rude slang To intoxicate someone to an extreme degree. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "eff" and "up." The painkillers the doctor prescribed really effed me up last night. They want to get effed up on weed and watch cheesy horror movies.
6. verb, rude slang To fail or malfunction. The printer effed up last night so I still haven't printed my report.
7. noun, rude slang A person who is a complete failure or rarely does anything right. In this usage, the phrase is often hyphenated. I admit that after college I was kind of an eff-up. I finally got my act together in my thirties, though.
8. noun, rude slang A mistake. In this usage, the phrase is often hyphenated. One little eff up and they kick me out of school. It's just not fair! This is not just an eff-up, Brad—this could bankrupt the entire company!
slang In a problematic or daunting situation; certain to fail or experience the worst possible outcome. A euphemistic substitution for the word "fucked" (using the spelled-out version of its first letter, "F"). Dude, we are so effed—mom is on her way home from the airport, and the house is still a wreck from our party! I knew I was effed when I found out my enemy was on the recruiting committee.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.