die for (someone or something)(redirected from dying for me)
die for (someone or something)
1. To die in order to save or help someone else. I would die for my wife if it would save her from danger.
2. To die for a particular cause or thing. How devoted are you to your religious beliefs? Are you willing to die for them?
3. To desire or long for someone or something in particular. Always used in the continuous tense. I'm just dying for a nap—I can hardly keep my eyes open.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
die for someone or something
1. Lit. to perish for the benefit or glory of someone or something. He said he was willing to die for his country. She would die for her child if necessary.
2. Fig. to experience great physical or emotional desire for someone or something. He was just dying for Jane, but she would have nothing to do with him. Freddie was dying for a glass of water—he was so thirsty.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Also, be dying for. Long for, desire excessively, as in I'm dying for some ice cream. This hyperbolic usage dates from the late 1500s. Also see die to.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.