dupe(redirected from duping)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to duping: de-duping
1. verb To deceive or trick one. The student tried to dupe me with a letter on which he'd forged his mom's signature.
2. verb To copy something. Did you dupe this tape, or am I holding the only copy?
3. noun Someone who is the victim of deception or trickery. Yep, I was a dupe—they were lying to me the whole time.
4. noun Something that is a copy of something else. Do you have a dupe of this tape, or am I holding the only copy?
5. noun, slang A cosmetic item that is in some way very similar to a higher-priced one. Is this Maybelline blush really a dupe for that pricey NARS one?
1. n. a potential victim of a confidence trick; a patsy. The crooks found a good dupe and started their scheme.
2. tv. to trick someone; to swindle someone. I did not try to dupe you. It was an honest mistake.
3. n. a duplicate; a copy. I’ve got a dupe in the files.
4. tv. to duplicate something; to copy something. Just a minute, I have to dupe a contract for the boss.