Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Someone who is stupid and/or inept. What duffer stapled the report together with the pages all out of order?
2. Someone who plays a sport, especially golf, poorly. Aw man, that guy's a real duffer—if you let him join our foursome, we'll be on the course all day!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a foolish oaf; a bumbler. Pete’s just a duffer—he’s not really serious at it.
2. n. an unskilled golfer. Those duffers up ahead are holding up the game.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one) puts (one's) pants on one leg at a time
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- be in bad with (someone)
- bargain for (someone or something) with (someone)
- brief (someone) about (someone or something)