due to (someone or something)(redirected from due to him)
due to (someone or something)
1. As a result of something. Due to the impending thunderstorms, the baseball game has been canceled.
2. Apt, likely, or set to do something. I think you should try to sell your house now, as the skyrocketing prices in this area are due to drop soon.
3. Owed to someone. I never got my last paycheck, so I have money due to me!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Likely to, announced as, as in Betty bought more of the stock, believing it was due to rise, or The play is due to open next week. [Early 1900s]
2. Attributable to, because of, as in Due to scanty rainfall, we may face a crop failure. This usage has been criticized by some authorities, but today it is widely considered standard. [Early 1900s] Also see on account of.
3. Owing or payable to, as in We must give our staff whatever vacation is due to them.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.