Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun A man who is endearingly calm, congenial, and accommodating to others. We always thought Thomas was a pretty cool dude—really down to earth, not pretentious or stuck up at all.
2. noun A man who is especially sophisticated, fashionable, or knowledgeable of the latest trends. He came out looking like one cool dude, with his brand-new suit and stylish haircut.
3. noun A man who displays or gives off an alluring air of aloofness, nonchalance, and nonconformity. My uncle was such a cool dude. He always rode around on this sick motorcycle, and you just knew that he played by his own rules.
4. adjective Of or indicating such a person or character. Sometimes used to indicate a desperate or pathetic attempt at imitation. Dad, put the cool dude glasses away and just smile for the camera, please. You can tell he's really going for a cool dude look that he just cannot pull off.
To dress formally, perhaps more formally than usual. A reflexive pronoun can be used between "dude" and "up." You need to dude yourself up for this event tonight—a suit and tie would be appropriate. I duded up for the birthday party and was embarrassed to find the other guests in shorts and T-shirts.
slang A heterosexual, often white, male who is hypermasculine and apt to behave in a sexist or homophobic manner. Often used pejoratively. If this guy you're dating is prone to casual misogyny, he might just be a dude-bro. JJ is just an obnoxious dude-bro, deriding anything he doesn't like as "gay."
Dressed formally, perhaps more formally than usual. You need to be duded up for this event tonight—a suit and tie would be appropriate. I got all duded up for the birthday party and was embarrassed to find the other guests in shorts and T-shirts.
1. noun A man who spends a majority of his time surfing and who is stereotypically characterized by a laid-back demeanor, a disinclination to work, and an exaggerated Californian accent thick with surfer slang. The film features a comic relief character in the form of the most clichéd surfer dude imaginable, a pastiche of every '90s surfer trope. I was kind of a lazy surfer dude for several years after college, but after having kids I realized I needed to get my life together.
2. noun The stereotypical accent, slang, and speech pattern associated with surfer culture, especially that of Southern California. Dude, California is a huge and diverse state, so I don't know why you expected everyone here to speak surfer dude all the time.
3. adjective Related to or indicative of surfer culture. In one of the film's stupider moments, the protagonist's parents try to sneak into one of his parties, complete with doofy surfer dude voices and tone-deaf "young person" clothes.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
dude ( oneself ) up
Sl. to dress in fancy or stylish clothing. I have to go dude myself up for the party. I'm not going to dude up tonight. Why don't you dude yourself up so we can go out tonight?
Sl. dressed up. She got all duded up in her fanciest dancing dress. He hates fancy clothes. He didn't even get duded up for his own wedding.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. n. a male friend; a guy. (see also dude up.) Who’s the dude with the cowboy boots?
2. mod. excellent. (see also dudical.) The game was severely dude! We won!
dude (oneself) up
tv. to dress in fancy or stylish clothing. Why don’t you dude yourself up so we can go out tonight?
See dude oneself up
in. to dress up. (Possibly as in doo-ed up.) Let’s get all duded up and go out.
mod. dressed up. He hates fancy clothes. He didn’t even get duded up for his own wedding.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.