drop back(redirected from dropped back)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To move away from someone or something, especially to provide space and privacy. Hey guys, can you drop back a little so that I can talk to this girl alone? The bodyguard tried to get the photographers to drop back while the singer exited her vehicle.
2. In American football, to move back behind the line of scrimmage. The quarterback is known for dropping back very quickly before he throws.
1. . to fall back to an original position. His arm raised up and then dropped back. The lid dropped back to its original position as soon as we let go of it.
2. to go slowly and lose one's position in a march or procession. He dropped back a bit and evened up the spacing in the line of marchers. He got tired and dropped back a little.
Step back, retreat. For example, When it was time for a group picture, Mary dropped back.
1. To take a position behind some group by moving more slowly: I dropped back behind the group of my friends and walked alone on the beach.
2. Football To back away from the line of scrimmage: The quarterback dropped back to throw a pass.