dry out(redirected from dries out)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. To lose moisture Hang your wet clothes outside on the clothesline so that they dry out.
2. To act to remove wetness from something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dry" and "out." Dry your wet clothes out by hanging them on the clothesline outside.
3. slang To stop feeling the effects of alcohol; to become sober again. Make sure he stays here and dries out before attempting to drive home.
4. slang To cause someone to stop feeling the effects of alcohol and become sober again. A noun or pronoun can be used between "dry" and "out." I'm trying to dry him out before he drives home, but it seems like the cup of coffee I gave him has had no impact.
5. slang To receive treatment for alcoholism. Is it true that Uncle Tom is drying out at a rehab facility for awhile?
dry someone out
Fig. to cause someone to become sober; to cause someone to stop drinking alcohol to excess. If the doctor at the clinic can't dry him out, no one can. The hospital will dry out Mary and start treatment.
dry something out
to make something become dry. Dry this out and put it on immediately. Dry out your jacket in the clothes dryer.
1. Lit. to become dry. The clothes finally dried out in the wet weather.
2. Fig. to allow alcohol and the effects of drunkenness, especially if habitual, to dissipate from one's body. He required about three days to dry out completely. He dried out in three days.
Undergo a cure for alcoholism, as in After years of constant drinking, he realized that he needed to dry out. [1960s]
1. To become free of liquid or moisture: If you sit in the sun, your wet hair will dry out.
2. To remove the moisture from something: Dry out your clothes on the line. We'll dry the rags out on the lawn.
3. Slang To become sober: I need a few hours to dry out before I go out again.
4. Slang To make someone become sober: The crisp morning air has dried me out a bit.
5. Slang To undergo a cure for alcoholism: My uncle went to a clinic to dry out.