Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A bad or depressing thing or situation. Geez, that movie was a real downer. Sorry, I'm being so quiet—this day was just a downer.
2. An unpleasant experience induced by drugs. No, I don't take that stuff anymore—I had a downer last time.
3. A drug that acts as a sedative or a depressant. I guess those drugs were downers because they didn't give me the pick-me-up I'd hoped for.
have a downer on (one)
To dislike one. Primarily heard in UK, Australia. If the boss has a downer on you, I doubt you'll get a good performance review.
put a downer on (something)
To inhibit something or make it less pleasant or enjoyable; to have a subduing or deadening effect on something. The foul weather really put a downer on our picnic yesterday. Without question, this tax scandal has put a downer on the senator's likelihood of being re-elected. The construction happening near our building has really put a downer on sales this month.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
have a down on someone/somethingor
have a downer on someone/somethingBRITISH
If you have a down on someone or something or you have a downer on them, you do not like them or you disapprove of them. Snobs would have a down on a man with a south London accent. For some reason Jackie has always had a downer on me.
put a downer on something
If something or someone puts a downer on an event, they make it less enjoyable. The argument put a downer on our school holiday break.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
downerand down and downie
1. n. a barbiturate or a tranquilizer. (Drugs.) Too much booze with those downers, and you’re dead.
2. n. a bad drug experience; a down trip. (Drugs.) That stuff you gave me was a real downer.
3. n. a depressing event; a bad situation; a down trip. These cloudy days are always downers.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.