double over(redirected from double them over)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To fold something in half at the middle. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "double" and "over." This table is actually collapsible, so just double it over and slide it back behind the couch. To make a card, just double over a piece of paper.
2. To fold in half at the middle. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "double" and "over." This table can double over, so just slide it behind the couch when you're done with it.
3. To cause someone to bend over at the waist, often due to pain or laughter. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "double" and "over." Unfortunately, the food from that restaurant doubled me over with stomach pain for most of the night.
4. To bend over at the waist, often due to pain or laughter. After eating at that restaurant, I got food poisoning that made me double over from the stomach pain. I doubled over laughing when Jeff told that Joke at the meeting.
double someone over
† to cause someone to bend at the waist. The blow to the back of the head doubled Steve over. The wind almost doubled over the children running for home.
[for a person] to bend at the waist. Suddenly, he doubled over and collapsed. The people in the audience doubled over with laughter.
1. To bend or fold something back upon itself at the middle: We had to double over the invitations to fit them in the envelopes. I doubled my ticket over and stuck it in my pocket.
2. To bend or fold in half at the middle: These lawn chairs double over so you can store them in a small space.
3. To cause someone to bend over from the waist: The bad smell doubled the kids over when they entered the school. The comedian's funny jokes doubled us over.
4. To bend over from the waist: When he got the bad news, he just doubled over. She was so sick from the flu that she doubled over.