do something on/along the way(redirected from do something on the way)
along the way
During some event or timeframe. I had known Liz for years, but somewhere along the way in college, we fell in love. Along the way, my son's illness was misdiagnosed, and now he's very sick.
See also: way
on the way
1. En route; currently traveling to someone or something. We're on the way to the party and should be there in five minutes.
2. Found along the route to someone or something. It looks like there is a gas station on the way.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*on the way (to something or some place)and *on one's way (to something or some place)
moving toward a place; advancing toward a new status or condition. (*Typically: be ~; get ~.) Is he here yet or is he on the way? Mary is better now and on the way to recovery. She's now on the way to San Francisco. Yes, she's on her way.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
on the way
1. Also, on one's way. In the process of coming, going, or traveling; also, about to come. For example, The mail plane is on the way, or She is on her way out the door, or Winter is on the way.
2. On the route of a journey, as in I met him on the way to town, or We ran into them on the way. [c. a.d. 1000]
3. on the way to; well on the way to. On the point of experiencing or achieving, as in James is on the way to becoming a full professor, or Nancy is well on her way to a nervous breakdown. [Late 1800s] Also see on the way out.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
do something on/along the ˈway
1 do something as you go somewhere: Buy a burger and eat it on the way.
2 do something while you do something else; do something during the process of doing something else: I’ve succeeded in this business, and met a lot of nice people along the way.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
on the way
On the route of a journey: met him on the way to town; ran into them on the way.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.