do (someone or oneself) no favors(redirected from do oneself no favours)
do (someone or oneself) no favors
1. To not be helpful to someone or something; to hinder or be detrimental to someone or something. You do your kids no favors by catering to their every whim.
2. To act in a way that reflects negatively on oneself. Just stop talking—you're doing yourself no favors by babbling to the CEO.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
do somebody no ˈfavours,
not do somebody any ˈfavoursdo something that is not helpful to somebody or that gives a bad impression of them: You’re not doing yourself any favours, working for nothing. ♢ The orchestra did Beethoven no favours.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- be/have done with somebody/something
- be in line with (someone or something)
- be rough on (someone or something)
- better of
- (someone or something) promises well
- begin with
- begin with (someone or something)
- at the expense of somebody/something
- be enamored with (someone or something)
- beware of (someone or something)