dispose of (someone or something)(redirected from dispose of it)
dispose of (someone or something)
1. To eliminate someone or something; to get rid of someone or something. The CEO is apt to dispose of any manager who does not agree with him all the time. After our basement flooded, we had to dispose of most of the boxes we'd stored down there.
2. To settle or resolve something. Jean is the best editor in the writing center, so she'll definitely dispose of any issues in your paper.
3. To relocate, sell, or give something away. Once I move into the city, I'll need to dispose of my car.
4. slang To kill someone. We need to dispose of the informant before he goes running to the police again.
dispose of someone or something
to get rid of someone or something. (See also dispose of someone.) How can I dispose of this bothersome customer? Where shall I dispose of this wastepaper?
dispose of someone
Sl. to kill someone. (See also dispose of someone or something.) Max suggested that he would dispose of Lefty if Lefty continued to be a pest. The boss ordered Max to dispose of Lefty.
1. Attend to, settle, deal with, as in He quickly disposed of the problem. [Early 1600s]
2. Transfer, part with, as by giving away or selling. For example, They wanted to dispose of the land as soon as possible. [Second half of 1600s]
3. Get rid of, throw out, as in Can we dispose of the trash in this barrel? Oliver Goldsmith had this idiom in She Stoops to Conquer (1773): "I'm disposing of the husband before I have secured the lover." [Mid-1600s]
4. Kill or destroy; also, humorously, consume. For example, The king was determined to dispose of his enemies, or John disposed of the cake in no time. [Second half of 1800s]
1. To throw out or get rid of something: The government hired contractors to dispose of the nuclear waste.
2. To settle or attend to some problem, question, or situation: We quickly disposed of the problem before anyone found out.
3. To transfer or part with something, as by giving away or selling it: The bank disposed of its bad loans.
4. To kill or destroy someone: The dictator disposed of all his enemies.