Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dipper: big dipper
obsolete One belonging to the Anabaptist faith, in which believers are baptized after infancy. "Autem" is an obsolete slang word for church, so an "autem dipper" is one whose faith is based on baptism (that is, a "dip" in water). As one has no concept of faith as an infant, the autem dippers believe that baptism should take place when one is old enough to affirm belief in the church.
1. A recipient of a government pension who continues to work or receives Social Security. Don't be a double-dipper—collect your pension and let someone else have this job.
2. Someone who takes a bite of a food item and then inserts it into a dip, thereby contaminating the dip. Hey, don't be a double-dipper—no one wants your germs!
slang A swimmer, as opposed to a surfer. Hey, watch out for those fanny-dippers when you go back out there with your surfboard.
1. n. a drunkard. (From dipsomaniac.) Buy the dip a drink. That’ll shut him up for a while.
2. and dipper n. a pickpocket. (Underworld.) The dip tried a snatch, but the dupe turned around at the wrong time. The cops picked up three dippers, working as a group, at the fairgrounds.
3. n. a pinch or helping of snuff. He took a dip just before he picked up the bat.
4. n. a wad of chewing tobacco. You could see he had a big dip in his cheek.
5. n. an oaf; a jerk. (Probably from dipshit.) Why are you acting like such a dip?
1. n. a person who collects two salaries; a federal employee who collects a federal pension and Social Security. The double-dippers say they weren’t doing anything wrong.
2. n. a person who dips a chip or veggie into a dip or sauce after having taken a bite of the chip or veggie, thus risking the introduction of germs into the dip. I always watch the snack table to make sure there are no double-dippers.
n. a swimmer, as opposed to a surfer. (California.) The fanny-dippers are not supposed to go out that far.