Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. slang A stupid or foolish person. Todd, you dip—did you leave the refrigerator open again? I felt like a total dip after getting the answer wrong.
2. slang A pickpocket. The dips will usually bump into you or do something else to distract you while they relieve you of your valuables.
3. slang An act or instance of pickpocketing. After the dip, the thief hands off the stolen property to an accomplice who flees the scene before anyone notices him.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a drunkard. (From dipsomaniac.) Buy the dip a drink. That’ll shut him up for a while.
2. and dipper n. a pickpocket. (Underworld.) The dip tried a snatch, but the dupe turned around at the wrong time. The cops picked up three dippers, working as a group, at the fairgrounds.
3. n. a pinch or helping of snuff. He took a dip just before he picked up the bat.
4. n. a wad of chewing tobacco. You could see he had a big dip in his cheek.
5. n. an oaf; a jerk. (Probably from dipshit.) Why are you acting like such a dip?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- chip and dip
- chips and dip
- dip (in)to (something)
- dip (one's) pen in gall
- dip (one's) toe in the water
- dip (one's) toe into (something)
- dip (one's) wick
- dip a toe in the water
- dip in
- dip in(to) (something)
- dip into
- dip into (one's) pocket
- dip into (one's) savings
- dip into savings
- dip into the blue
- dip into your pocket
- dip one's toes into
- dip out
- dip to
- dip your pen in gall
- dip your toe into something
- dip your wick
- don't dip your pen in (the) company ink
- lucky dip
- never dip your pen into the company's ink
- wind pudding and air dip